we're buddies. we're real good buddies.

people review stuff

Monday, March 30, 2009

Role Models (2008)

This film written by David Wain, most likely known for his work on The State, follows the story of two energy drink sales reps, Danny and Wheeler (Paul Rudd and Stiffler respectively) who get in trouble with the law and have to do community service in the form of being Big Brothers to a couple of kids. And over the course of wacky antics, they learn some sorta lesson about themselves or something.

Wheeler is paired up with Ronnie, a rambunctious black kid who has a history of getting his big brothers to quit. He's funny when he hits Wheeler and says controversial things. The most annoying part of his character is his mom because she's just an annoying mom and kinda symbolizes to me what's wrong with lots of parents today. But that can also be said for Augie's (McLovin's) parents. Augie is Danny's little brother and he is into live-action role-playing (hereafter referred to as LARPing). To me this was the most entertaining part of the movie because LARPing is just funny. I could go on a long tangent on how I researched what LARPing is, but I'll only say that if you have free time, read some of the About and Rules in NERO Chicago's website. I was highly amused.

In any case, the movie has lots of cameos from members of The State, which surprised me because I originally mistaken in thinking this was an Apatow film. Acting was serviceable, but lets be honest in saying no one is trying to win an academy award here. The music was not very memorable to me outside of of few KISS songs. The costumes were great thanks to LARPers, but as for the rest of the production value, it wasn't not too spectacular. The overall story was kinda touching, I guess; it mostly was funny because I wasn't expecting much from it. I did zero watch checks and recommend it to people who just want some good clean laughs.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home