we're buddies. we're real good buddies.

people review stuff

Friday, April 03, 2009

Burt's Place in Morton Grove

I went here last night with some Collective kids because of Anthony Bourdain:


A few things Bourdain didn't go over (but I knew in advance thanks to Yelp):
- Burt and Sharon run a TIGHT ship. As in, if you don't call ahead and reserve both your time AND your order, they will get very flustered and you stand a good chance of not only being turned away, but also getting scolded.
- Following on from the previous point, be sure to show up on time.
- No serving yourself this pizza. Sharon puts it down at ANOTHER table and serves you slices herself. Want another one? You're gonna wait.

It was a rainy and blustery trip out to the MG whereupon I parked myself in front of this:



That crumbling gazebo just right of the restaurant proper is indescribable. Approaching Saw territory. And if you thought Burt's Place looked intimidating from the outside...



Okay so this doesn't look so elitist-club-ariffic from the picture, but what if I told you you were looking at fully 1/2 of the dining space in the establishment?

Bourdain didn't just call out Burt and Sharon for the shoot either; they pretty much do this coming-out-and-shooting-the-breeze thing with every customer in the place, often unpredictably. And since they demand that you call ahead, they know the first name of at least one person at every table, and don't hesitate to use that name every time they come back to you. They also don't hesitate to razz you for such transgressions as having party members show up late ("this pizza is really good when it's warm") or changing party size ("maybe next time you'll learn how to count").

I've enumerated all the amusing/bemusing aspects of the experience so far. The pizza, nevertheless, is super terrific - moments-out-of-the-oven fresh, not drowning in cheese (and thus made to be enjoyed by the lactose-intolerant), dough from heaven. If you ever wanted to be in an episode of Seinfeld (you know which one I'm talking about) right here in Chicago, you know where to go.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger ian said…

    Dude, what kind of pie you get? Was the topping ratio balanced or overwhelming? When I saw the episode I thought, "that's not 'Chicago.'" I guess the big names of Gino's, Uno/Due, or Giordano's is too mainstream for him.

    If you go south and get that smoked fish or tamale hotdog also seen on the show, let me know.

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    I had a sausage-and-mushroom, wasn't bad at all. I did not notice a topping ratio issue. I think we should go there sometime, I think you'd appreciate the anal artisan-ness of the place.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Jienan said…

    I think my opinion of the pizza would have been different were I able to have served myself - not 15 minutes AFTER it had come out of the oven. Glad you liked it but man, I wasn't sold... I may give it a second shot though, when I go have the same exact pizza at Pequods.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger chris said…

    that's funny, we just drove past pequod's last night on the way to china chef... do you guys know this place? they serve filipino/cantonese food as well as more typical american-chinese restuarant fare. wish i could try some of the filipino/cantonese specialties (ie if they were vegan) but anyone who gets a side order of pan fried noodles will be leave happy no matter what else they eat.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    i thought pequod's was that pizza joint by the webster place cinema. is there another?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home