we're buddies. we're real good buddies.

people review stuff

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I Love You, Man (2009)

You know, I think I've reached critical mass with this group of actors, the Apatow people that is. It seems like they are in every comedy coming out these days. Because not only do they have their stuff, but they also work with people from The State. And if it's not them, then it's Will Ferrell and his group, also known as the Frat Pack. And it's getting to the point that they all seems the same. It's sorta like eating a lot of leftovers: sure it was good when you first had it and it was fresh, but then you have it later in the week, and then again, and eventually you just get satiated and want something new. Well I want something new in the comedic movies I see. The sad part is I don't even think the writer or director (John Hamburg) of this movie is related to those groups, but just having these people cast makes it seem so.

This movie is about a realty agent, Peter (Paul Rudd), who has no guy friends because he has always focused on relationships with women. So now he needs to find a best man for his wedding to Zooey (Rashida Jones). After a series of bad bromance meet and greets, Peter just about gives up. Enter Sydney (Jason Segel) who meets Peter at one of his open houses. They begin to hang out and so begins the story about their friendship. Peter and Sydney's friendship has an Odd Couple dynamic too it, with Peter being the straight man. But Peter isn't consistent as the straight man, so it's not really that funny compared to classic combos like Martin and Lewis, Lemmon and Matthau, or even Randall and Klugman.

I'm not gonna lie though, the movie made me laugh. The best part, for me, being a speech made by Sydney at the wedding shower. It was the only Part I remember laughing out loud at. Also humorous was Andy Samberg's take on being a gay guy. He's not the stereotypical flaming homosexual, and it's a refreshing take on the average gay male without being preachy in the "gay people are no different than everyone else" sorta way. Sure the movie is evenly sprinkled with funny observational humor, with a minor dabbing of gross out humor, but it's not really strong throughout. Overall, it's not as funny as I wanted it to be. I didn't look at my watch once, but that's not a real indication of the disappointment I had watching. And sure Rashida Jones and Jaime Pressly are pretty, but they weren't in any gratuitous bikini or naked scenes, actually no woman was now that I think about it. And that's a minus too. I recommend rental or torrent for this one.

I guess what I really need is to watch a completely different comedy. Frat Pack, Apatow, Broken Lizard, The State, Farrelly Brothers... I grow tired of them all. I think I'm also satiated by my guilty pleasure comedies, things by the Wayans Brothers; there's only such of Terry Crews one can take. I always said it would be a cold day in hell before I watched anything whose title is preceded by the phrase "Tyler Perry's..." or the general format of "_______ Movie", but I just may have to to break up the monotony of current comedic movies. Actually, that's probably going too far.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home